Monday 10 November 2008

Good bye old friend!

Now, I'm someone who likes to get the most out of their kit. A lot of my stuff is at least 10 years old and still going strong. But I have had a recent tragedy. My trusty Karrimor has gone to the great rucksac in the sky.

It was a 30l Munro (I think!!!) that has gone through thick and thin with me for over 15 years. It has travelled all over the world with me; it was on my back when I fell off a cliff and it has been out in the woods with me on most of the days out. Structurally it was still very sound but the problem was that it had started to delaminate and was not at all waterproof any more. I know I could have kept things in dry sacs but that can be a bit of a pain.

So after such a long and distinguished career it was finally retired. It will be forever immortalised on film as I was wearing it for the trailer (www.survivalmatters.tv). This does of course mean that I'm now on the lookout for a replacement! I was thinking of another Karrimor such as the Sabre but I'm open to suggestions. As always, price is a bit of a factor.

Please feel free to recommend kit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon,
Thanks for your comments about my injury.
I suppose the old Sabres are about the best bet for an all rounder, although the smaller you go the lighter the cordura material (less robust).
A few people now use front loaders for day sacks like the Maxpedition range. I'm in two minds about these. A bit pricey.
Cheers, Pablo.